Frequently Asked Questions
What is the 4-Year Old Half-Day Kindergarten Program?
The 4-year old kindergarten half-day program beginning in the fall of 2006 is a developmentally appropriate educational program of learning and activities for 4-year old children.
Who is eligible for the 4-year old Kindergarten Program?
Students who are 4 years old on or before Sept. 1 are eligible for the 4-year old half-day program. All eligible students who register will be accommodated.
Where will the program be housed?
The program will be housed in various sites including:
- Elementary Schools
- Day care centers
- Possible other sites
Is there a cost for the 4-year old Kindergarten Program?
- 4-year old kindergarten is free for children who live within the boundaries of the Racine Unified School District.
- Tuition will be charged for students who live outside of district boundaries.
Why should a parent consider the 4-year old Kindergarten Program?
There are many reasons to consider enrolling your child in the 4-year old program. Among them are:
- Studies indicate that students in early childhood programs learn the skills necessary for success in elementary school and beyond.
- Social and emotional school readiness is a precursor to learning. The 4-year-old program will assist children with language skills, listening skills, muscle coordination, social skills, and other prerequisites to learning.
- Racine Unified has a strong history of providing excellence in programming for young people.
For questions regarding the 4-year old kindergarten program, please contact the Racine Early Education Center at 262-664-8200.